Interesting Fact: Amazon Doesn't Let You See All Their Products

Thursday, August 19, 2021

I buy a lot of small items for my home.  For example, I recently bought night lights, a small spatula, and vacuum-cleaner bags.  Every time I search for small items, Amazon limits me to seven pages of products.  Amazon might have forty pages of spatulas, but they let me look at only seven.  In contrast, if I am looking for an electronic item, like a camera or a computer, Amazon will show me twenty pages of items.  Apparently, they do this because electronic items are more expensive, and they make more money when they sell big-ticket items.

The problem for me is that I need a lot more small items than I need big items.  If I am looking for an unusual item, it may not come up in the seven pages that Amazon will let me look at.  What happens is that I often run over to eBay and buy the item there.  So Amazon doesn't get my money; but it would seem that Amazon isn't bothered by that.  If they miss out on a $10 sale, which might make them a dollar, why should they care?  They want the $300 sale, from which they might make $25 to $30.

I think that eBay is going to become my destination of first choice for small items.  I will experience less aggravation if I do that; and besides, I'm tired of making Jeff Bezos the richest man in the world.

*          *          *

Now this is very curious.  Only a couple days after complaining to Amazon about how they were limiting my searches, I searched for "utensil organizer" and up came 400 pages of products.  I then searched for "metal utensil organizer" and got 222 pages.  It seems that if you complain, they will take the restrictions off your account.

However, a search for "computer monitor" still brought up only 20 pages.  The next time I need to buy some electronic equipment, I'll complain again to get them to remove the restriction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment