Save Energy by Cooking with a Microwave

Sunday, November 6, 2016
Having decided that I needed to eat more vegetables, I started eating more salads, but I also wanted to eat cooked vegetables.  Usually I buy those 10-ounce boxes of Birds Eye or Green Giant frozen vegetables, but then one day I bought a small head of broccoli.  However, I wasn't sure how to cook it.  I never boil vegetables because it robs them of vitamins, and I no longer have a steamer.  I had never sauteed broccoli, and I didn't want to try because I thought that the florettes might burn before the stems cooked.  So I decided to try the microwave.  Here's what I did:

I cut the broccoli into pieces, cut up a half onion, and put it all in a microwave-safe glass bowl.  I cooked it all on 50% power for 3 minutes.  Then I tossed the vegetables and cooked them again on 50% power for 3 minutes.  I tossed them again, and added a little water to the bowl.  I then added spices (salt, pepper, basil and rosemary), and bacon bits, and then tossed it again.  I then added a tablespoon of butter, and then I overlaid the vegetables with three slices of American cheese.  I then cooked it for 4 minutes at 50% power.

When it was done, I stirred it.  The American cheese melted into the water and made a thin cheese sauce (the next time I'll add less water or add more cheese).  The vegetables came out crunchy.  They tasted very fresh, and they were delicious.  My microwave is only 800 watts.  If yours is more powerful, the times I give here will be good.  Otherwise, I would recommend adding time to the cooking.

My point in posting this article is simply to make the point that things can be cooked in a microwave oven which you might not expect, such as vegetables.  Microwaves use vastly less energy than stoves do.  If you want to put less carbon and other pollutants into the atmosphere, you should use your microwave more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment